Friday, January 4, 2008

A Friend from Far Away by Dhruv Joshi

A Friend from Far Away by Dhruv Joshi

After spending restless days and sleepless nights for about a week over a research project in my college, I finally visited my students at Samvedana on 30th December, Sunday. It was around 9 in the morning when I was about to start our regular class, Janaki madam came and told me that there is a history teacher from America who wants to take a class on history with the students. I was excited to know this and went straight to the class along with the kids.

There I first met this vibrant and energetic teacher, Will Cushing. He gave us information on Martin Luther King and his connection and relation with Gandhi, I helped translating couple of difficult English words into Gujarati for our students. But what I most liked and appreciate about his teaching ability is the fact that though he did not share a common language with the students, he could transcend the essence of the message he wanted to give, almost with negligible help of translator (perhaps Dilutor) like me.

After the lecture I met him and learned that he has done a study related to Gandhi, my curiosity further increased to know his approach and views on Gandhi. So I talked to Janaki Madam asking if I could get another opportunity to meet this friendly and enlightened young man. She quickly talked to him and arranged a dinner at her home on the 1st of January. Meanwhile I had come to know that Will used to come to Samvedana every evening to teach students basket ball at 6 o clock. I was working on the current issue of our college wall magazine, and thought that it would be a good reading if an American teacher could share his views with us. So elated I was on getting this idea, that I did not wait for 1st January dinner meeting and just went to Samvedana to request Mr. Will to write an article for us. At first I thought he would find such request rather frivolous, but on the contrary he willingly agreed to share his valuable thoughts with us. By now he was comfortable on the back seat of my bike (Even without a helmet!). On 31st evening we departed thanking each other. Little idea I think we had that this accidental encounter was a beginning of a good friendship and a great learning experience for me.

We met on 1st January at predetermined time to head towards Janaki madam’s home. We reached there 10-15 minutes earlier than the decided time. Janaki mam’s Grandfather in law had a good conversation with Will. Will, in the beginning found it bit hostile I guess but managed well. At this point what I liked about him was his ability to be polite as well as putting his view across firmly, grand father in law, was bit perturbed as he thought Will has come to India permanently, leaving all his duties to his parents. Will by citing example of his grand mother explained the distinction between the societies very well. On the dinner he talked mainly about his city though he also told us about apartheid, an inhuman system. On our way back I unintentionally revealed my deep rooted ambivalence to him.

I shared with him the guilt that I sometimes feel due my belonging to the class that is better off than most of my countrymen, he almost relating to this contradicting views of my mind calmly told me “you are not the only one to feel that ambivalence my friend, I also feel the same” this was so touchy that I could not stop water flowing from my eyes. It was delightful as well as surprising to know how could a person coming from such long distance share the same feeling that I had. I think this sharing and acknowledgement of that is what is human approach, and Will, for me, stand for this humanity which transcends all the borders and see the world as a whole. He also advised me (as he would advise his students) that to renounce everything and start living with the underprivileged ones would be a hypocrisy. We further talked about incidents which are a part of routine life but have larger significance. He also admitted his guilt for eating meat which in turn gives boost to meat industry which he later explained is dangerous for greenhouse effect. I think Will firmly believes that it is high time for us to learn live in balance with each other as the citizens of this earth.

He would have that, though this kid is not so bright, he is at least a good listener and a curious mind. So he invited me to Seva café for a dinner next day. I was more than ready to dine with him and know something more about his views so I accepted his offer at once.

Next day we met at Samvedana and headed towards the Seva café. By this time we had already conversed about my studies and education system in America and some other things while going from one place to the other on my bike. At seva café he treated me (Even after accusing me for being too polite with him) he shared a cogent argument behind the high number of deaths taking place in America due to gun shots. He explained why America had so many gun ownerships, with the help of the storyline of Micheal Moore’s movie. I also put across some analogous incidents that have taken place in India. I also asked him that wouldn’t it be better to any person to work in his own country, where he is aware of all the surroundings and situations. He almost agreed to my point and told that he also felt the same.

Will then told me the most important thing of all our conversations, he told me that he first used to teach at the interior school in America where there were rough kids. He, that being his first job was very idealistic and excited about teaching to these poor children. Then he tells “Dhruv, I learnt a lesson of my life that underprivileged people are not always good.” He further shared his experiences as a teacher and told me that usually kids find his class boring and complaint about it but once his student had told him that she had learnt more in his class than she had learnt in any of her previous history classes. Will’s excitement on this and his approach to see that incident as a complement to his teaching skills prove that he is a compassionate man with a kind heart. He also told how badly he was disappointed by the black kids as they were not at all interested in knowing their freedom struggle. There I could observe the enthusiasm of a good teacher in him, the fact that he continued even among some uninterested students shows his persistence and ability to stick to his beliefs.

He was, I believe, happy when I had told him that I had read somewhere that a “student- teacher interaction” is irreplaceable. I think we share the same reverence to the profession of teaching.

After dinner we sat at seva café for some time and then decided to visit Gandhi museum the next day, he was also supposed to give me the article that he had written. We met on the morning next day, 3rd January. I gave him the article that I had written about caste system and reservations in India. He took some time to finish an article. Accidentally it was a birthday of some girl at Gandhi ashram so Will willingly, even leaving his lunch at halfway, played happy birthday tune on violin. I don’t have much sense of music but would certainly admit that the music he played was very sweet to the ears of those listening.

Today is the last day of Will in the city of Ahmedabad. I have given him one of the books that I had with me for long time, so that when we meet next could return it to me, it is not a gift to my friend but it is just as a part of a memory and the hope for a nice and miraculous reunion in future . I am also giving him the CDs of the movie named Pay it forward which I think he would like.

I am proud to admit that though he does not teach me everyday, he has made no less an impact on my life than an able teacher could make on his students’ life.

Thank you and may god bless you

With the hope that we Will meet again…..

Your student or friend

Dhruv

© 2008 DHRUV JOSHI & TARUN PATEL

No comments: