Sunday, December 30, 2007

"Mother" - a story by Neha Joshi

"M o t h e r" - a story written by Neha Joshi

It is not so that I don’t like her; not at all. She is the very good girl – in fact one of the best daughters-in law. Very loving caring, and a very good house keeper in whose reign, each member of the family feels comfort and happiness. Sometimes I feel that my son - my Nichol - is lucky to get her as his wife. Anne is such a nice girl. And in spite of all this ---

You would say that I’ve go ne mad and even I’m ashamed of myself for this. But still, it was a strong desire of my heart had she been ill for a little longer - not much of course , not a very long time even. Only a few days more. I feel guilt for this desire. I’m not able to look into her beautiful, blue eyes. Still I’d say, it was my strong wish…

I’d been with them for some days at their house. Anne was ill and unable to get up from the bed. So my son Nichol asked me to stay back at home with her, as his was a full day, 12 hours job. I was more than happy for, after a long time my son was really in a need of my help. I was still useful and important to him. So far, I was the happiest mother on the earth. I went to his house. Anne welcomed me with her usual warm and friendly smile. “We had to call you Ma, for him and for the household”, she told me. “Dear I’m all for that. Don’t worry”. I consoled her and took hold of her household.

The days were full of peace and happiness. I used to wake up early in morning when it was still dark. Having the tea and breakfast ready, I used to wait for them to get up. Nearly at six, he would come out of his bedroom, and would look at me with the eyes that were still sleepy and as dreamy as they were when he was a kid. With a warm smile he would ask: “Did you have a sound sleep, ma?” My throat used to be chocked up with the flood of love within and I’d reply as shortly as possible: “yes son”.

Then I’d go to Anne with her breakfast & tea, while he would still be sipping his tea and reading the newspaper. Then would enter his study-room and arrange the scattered books properly. I’d start preparing lunch, and by 10.00, he would be on the dining table, ready for his job. Eating, he would wink his eyes and say: “Ma, today you’ve done a wonderful job!” – And both of us would laugh. His smile had filled up the kitchen – with the morning sunlight and my heart with its warmth.

All this was like living the past days once again with bliss doubled and happiness regained. I could still provide him a reason to laugh with an open heart. So far, I was happy!

The days passed like a Trans. In spite of knowing its transitoryness – I made myself believe, it was true from years back and for endless years to come.

On one fine morning, Anne also came out of the bed-room with Nichole at 6:00 for tea. My son was more than happy.

“Ma, look at her. She could get-up, she could walk!”

Anne smiled at him and told me: “I have recovered only because of you care, Ma.”

I also enjoyed the moment, hardly aware of my Trans to end, my fulfillment to vanish.

After the dinner at night that day, we three were sitting around the table, having the coffee, when Nichole showed me my tickets to my place back, and told: “Ma, at this age too, you are able to manage the household. Heads off to your strength! Take rest now, as Anne is back. You no longer need to bother and trouble yourself for us.”

I took the tickets from his hands silently. He held my shivering fingers in his manly paw, and said: “Do come again at the Christmas celebrations.”

I winked my eyes and before it gets wet, I went inside to pack my luggage.

Telling myself: “Had she been ill for a little longer…”

Copyright note:

This story is an intellectual property of Neha Joshi. It has been posed solely for reading purpose. Nobody should copy any part of the story and make any changes in it.


© 2008 NEHA JOSHI & TARUN PATEL

No comments: